After Tristan's nap, out we popped to Tesco and bought food and cakes for a little party, a pinata and of course, some fireworks.
When we got back we needed a bit of calm while the food was prepared so Toby and Tristan sat making fireworks pictures.
We had a lovely evening, I was really glad we had made the effort and that Toby's enthusiasm had prompted it. Peter and my brother did the fireworks, some classed as garden ones and some classed as display, requiring them to be set off 25 metres away from spectaters, ooops. If only we were lucky enough to have a 25m garden! So we set them off in the cul-de sac at the far end while we cowered over by the houses.
Tristan was fascinated, shouting 'bang bang' from the safety of the sling, tucked in under my poncho. Toby was a little scared at the proximity and the noise, he later explained he loved the disney firsworks because they were a long way away and over the water and 'can we go back to the walk board?' (boardwalk). The men I think got a huge amount of macho enjoyment from setting fire to things and were really happy :)
The fireworks I have to say were a bit of a disappointment, the highlight being that we managed to set the fence on fire with the catherine wheel.
Pinata time, we all enjoyed whacking a fish shaped one with sticks. We will make our own for Toby's birthday (bit of papoer mache over a balloon should do it I think) and it would be a good messy craft project, since at 8 pound for an empty one they aren't cheap to buy! Tristan joined in enthusiatically waving a hammer in the general direction of the pinata (another time that I'd wished I'd had a video camera handy).